See how to change some of your summer beachcombing finds into beautiful macrame bracelets using the beginners macrame square knot. Make these with natural string, twine or whatever yarn you have to hand. This session will require a little focus until you get the hang of it, but one you have it - the world is your oyster! Support younger members of the family, or learn together and make it something to do together. You could create them after a swim in the waters on the beach itself or once back indoors, whatever suits you all best.
Learning this crafting technique also helps to develop: fine motor skills; memory -are you working the left or the right side?; counting - number of full square knots you have completed; concentration span -it takes time to learn and complete, and a knowledge of how to create more things of beauty by hand. You can make them for friends or family or happily for yourself as a memory of your beach day.
Items Required: your beach find with a hole in it so that you can attach onto it, some string/ twine or other thick yarn - thicker is better for beginners, but if you're feeling bold embroidery threads and thinner yarns work well too, scissors & sticky tape
Whilst using this resource to inspire learning, know you are helping you and your family's wellbeing:
1) Get Active - wander along the beach edge getting to know your surroundings before you settle down and look for beach finds throughout your time by the sea.
2) Keep Learning - use this session to learn a crafting technique to create bracelets to give to each other and to friends and neighbours. Once you master this square knot technique, why not let it inspire more macrame makes in your home. Check out our resources, there will be more to come.
3) Be Mindful- crafting as process is known to settle the mind as it requires a type of focus that can help shut other things out, giving your mind a 'break'.
4) Practice Kindness- remember everyones outcomes will differ greatly - respond with kindness and respect. It’s ok if it doesn’t go exactly to plan, it’s all part of the learning journey.
5) Think Community - Why not make these for friends and family members to share your love and kindness. Post your beautiful outcomes and share any tips in the comments below. #art #craft #macrame #squareknot #bracelets #familyactivity #childrensactivity #kidsactivity #familytime #positivewellbeing #familyfun #beachcomber #handmade #summer #love