This session allows the age old craft of daisy chain making to grow a little as we mix it up with some buttercups too! Perfect to adorn summer hats, make necklace garlands or bracelets (make the chains shorter or wrap them round several times) & to be used in imaginary play......or for parties & festivals. Now this beautiful natural chain will usually only last out the day so only pick as many as you need to make your project. Items Required: Long stemmed daisies & buttercups - you can in fact use most flowers with a narrow stem with much success
Optional:If your nails aren't long enough to make the slits in the stems you could always make them with the tip of a butter knife (no sharp edges).
Whilst using this resource to inspire learning, know you are helping you and your family's wellbeing by:
1) Get Active - Get yourselves out your front doors for a walk to a local park, woodland or area you know has plenty of daisies, buttercups or the flower of your choice for your chain.
2) Keep Learning - Although daisies are thought of as a weed they are in fact quite an amazing plant. They are resilient and hardy and have many medicinal properties as well as being edible. Buttercups however, despite us all seeing if we liked butter when we were children are NOT edible for humans. Perhaps you could create a chart of which plants you pick are edible or not.
3) Be Mindful- Collect your flowers respectfully and remember to leave plenty behind for insects and other wildlife.
4) Practice Kindness- Learn the chain making technique yourself first, creating the slit can be difficult until you have practiced a few times and worked out how to do it. Give patient help wherever needed. What matters is not the perfect chain but that your family feels supported in the making process and that they love what they have at the end.
5) Think Community - Share your beautiful outcomes with your online community, or gift your creations to family & friends to share the love of making. But remember they only last a day!