This is a fun winter nature activity for all the family and *can be added to by the wider community (*depending on where you make it) in places that have SNOW!!! We have been lucky here in the North of England to have had plenty snow in the past week for plenty of snow creations but many places are not as fortunate in their amount of snow-fall so, yes, this one requires snow, but not as much as other snow creations. So bundle up in plenty of warm layers, hats, scarves, boots, waterproofs etc to keep toasty warm and venture out into the glinting and glittering great outdoors. Take a flask of something warm to drink, some snacks for fortitude and some spare extra thick dry gloves or socks - keeping warm is a key to a happy family day outside!
Snow Beings are super simple to make and suitable for all the family to take part in. The aspect being worked on is multiples as the effect lies not in the most beautiful sculpture but in the mass, the many. You can make as many as you can... or want to.
Whilst using this resource to inspire learning, know you are helping you and your family's wellbeing by:
1) Get Active - Wrap up warm in plenty layers, hats scarves and gloves and get a walk on out in search of snow to make some small snow beings with all your family.
2) Keep Learning -Snow Beings is a snow based response to the work ‘Field’ by Anthony Gormley. Consider looking up the artist and his works, do his sculptures challenge your idea of what Art might be? ‘Field’ also brings to mind the likes of historical creations, such as the famous Terracotta Army, and though clearly different, how might they be similar or why?
3) Be Mindful- Snow has a magical feel to it - try these mindful moments with your family. When you find the snow, take a moment meet and greet it: listen carefully to how it sounds under your feet as you step onto it. Can you recreate that sound? Notice what it looks like, how does that make you feel? Then take a handful and notice what it looks like close to, what can you see? Finally get the snow next to your skin/fingers, how cold does it truly feel? How quickly is it melting once in contact with your warmth? Remember - this is precious water turned into precious snow.
4) Practice Kindness- Some may not want to tog up, but the cold can really affect us if we aren’t suitably prepared for it & to ensure an enjoyable experience for all be sure to take plenty spare warms with you in big bag/backpack(s) prepared to carry it if needed, and where possible warm foods/drinks and plenty of snacks. It is a kindness you will thank you for in the longer run and so will the family.
5) Think Community - Share your fabulous family outcomes with your local community to inspire others to come and add to your creations - before they melt! Ask that each person takes a photo before they leave to see how many you can create overall. We would love it if you tagged We Be Kids or added #webekids in it, or posted the images for our online community to see what you all create. #familyactivity #childrensactivity #kidsactvity #familytime #positivewellbeing #familyfun #fun #snow #natureactivity #snowart #snowart #create #anthonygormley #webekids #walking #wellbeing #community #greatoutdoors
Stick to make faces (rather than fingers) Nuts/seeds/berries for the eyes (& for the birds to eat once nature takes its course).
Lots of warm clothes, warm drinks and plenty snacks