In this session we show you how to use some collected sticks & some old socks headed for landfill & turn them into a cute bouquet of rose like flowers. A perfect way to reuse & upcycle those socks that are full of holes & save us from picking the flowers which are also meant for the birds & bees & wildlife. These make wonderful gifts for birthdays, Mother's or Father's Day, or in fact for any event or day & happy little hands are also able to make these with a little help & they are sure to love gifting them. Surely we can't be the only home with old socks hanging around? I sometimes wonder if the washing machine secretly eats the occasional one just so that we can't pair them & are left with odd ones for fun. Well instead of throwing odd socks out, we just wear them- odd! Makes sense really & stops sending perfectly ok socks to landfill & the less than perfect ones, well, if they can't be mended then we have plenty of other uses for them, these lovely upcycled roses are just one way of using them. However should you find yourself without a supply of socks currently you can use anything tubular really to a similar outcome, so upcycling sleeves & leggings legs in clothes too old to hand on would work too.
Items Required: Sticks - collect some from the ground in parks or woodlands near you. Socks - we recommend using old ones that are otherwise headed for the bin to lower our environmental impact. Sissors - sharp enough to cut thread. Safety Pins - You'll need a minimum of two (if you sew too), or you can use them to hold the final rose together
Needle & thread - a sewing needle and thread colour of your choice. Optionals: Paper/Tissue Paper - to wrap them Twine/Ribbon - to tie them together Extra sticks - to act like the leaves and bulk out the bouquet
#art #craft #familyactivity #childrensactivity #kidsactivity #familytime #positivewellbeing #familyfun #walking #sticks #socks #sockroses #sockbouquet #roses #sockflowers
Whilst using this resource to inspire learning, know you are helping you and your family's wellbeing by:
1) Get Active - Get out on a walk with your family to look for some sticks to bring home to create with. They need to be fairly sturdy to hold the sock rose.
2) Keep Learning - There are many ways in which to use the things that we would usually throw away. We would like to think that all our waste can be recycled but often that is not what happens. By using these old socks they can gain a new lease of life as a sock bouquet and you will be saving those plants and flowers for the others on this planet that need our help - insects, birds and wildlife species.
3) Be Mindful- Making and being creative can allow the mind to become fully absorbed by the task in hand allowing other parts of the mind to rest. Aim to make this gift mindfully and with the person you are making them for in your heart.
4) Practice Kindness- Depending on your family, know that you may need to give patient help if you have younger children, respond with kindness to their needs.
5) Think Community - These sock bouquets are the perfect gifts for so many occasions. Give far and wide! Post your beautiful outcomes and share any tips in the comments below.