As we head into the middle of November and autumn's hold begins to dwindle many people's minds turn towards the preparations needed for Christmas. The first requirement often being an Advent Calendar to count down to Christmas Day. So what better a place to begin than here with a lower impact environmentally friendly nature inspired Advent Calendar that looks beautiful to boot! You are welcome to use the Advent Calendar slips we've created below in the PDF, or to create your own, there is also an empty slip on the last page of the PDF for you to print and fill out yourselves. Items Needed: Min of 12 loo roll inners (if you only have 12 - that will only make the 24 small boxes so I recommend more if you can, but it is possible with just the 12).Plenty natural twine or yarn.Long woodland found stick or willow circle (perhaps from an old wreath if you have one).Some evergreen sprigs - eg conifer/spruce/pine/holly.
Nature finds (whatever you've collected across autumn -dried grasses/cones/nuts/seeds/berries.Paper - recycle old wrapping paper, envelopes, paper from the paper recycler, even printed paper will look good be it newspaper, music paper or simply paper saved from the shredder for now!Scissors.
Whilst using this resource to inspire learning, know you are helping you and your family's wellbeing by:
1) Get Active - Go out walking to collect the nature resources needed for this activity.
2) Keep Learning - use this session to learn more about the many things you can do to reduce your environmental impact over the festive period.
3) Be Mindful- It is not just physical gifts that make us happy - you can gift experiences too - like a walk, a day in the woods and most importantly gifting your family your time and attention.
4) Practice Kindness- making things with family and children usually requires patience and kindness - be kind enough to give yourselves plenty of time to do them in.
5) Think Community - Share your displays with your community, invite family, friends or neighbours to come and look through your window to see what you have created this year or post them online to inspire others in future!