In this session we will be having fun making and creating with the wonderful Dandelion. With their bright golden colour and their sheer abundance, what flower could be better for a crown fit for kings and queens than the dandelion. You can have the whole family creating crowns using this braiding technique and it works with some other flowers too. Begin early and know that these beautiful crowns are only ever meant to last the day, once you are done with them, remove the twine if it isn’t natural and they can be composted with other natural garden or food waste.Items Required: Scissors -just to cut the twineTwine - you could use the stem of a dandelion or ribbon too
Whilst using this resource to inspire learning, know you are helping you and your family's wellbeing by:
1) Get Active - Get yourselves out your front doors for a walk to a local park, woodland or area you know has plenty of dandelions.
2) Keep Learning - Although dandelions are thought of as a weed they are in fact quite an amazing plant. They are resilient and hardy and have many medicinal properties as well as being edible. Why not check out our other dandelion resources for some other uses.
3) Be Mindful- Dandelions are often plentiful in the UK but they are also a wonderful source of food and sustenance for the bees and other creatures as an early spring bloomer. Ensure that you leave plenty behind for them.
4) Practice Kindness- Learn the flower braiding technique yourself first and then learn alongside your family in the making and creating of your crowns. Give patient help wherever needed. What matters is not the perfect crown but that they feel supported in the making process and love what they have.
5) Think Community - Share your beautiful outcomes with your online community, or gift your creations to family & friends to share the love of making! But remember that these crowns will only last a day!