In this short film we introduce you to the custom of Tree Dressing. It is a chance for the whole community to gather and celebrate the leafy friends we all have in common. It’s also a chance for communities to gather and reflect on the social and cultural history of their local area, and the role trees have played in shaping this story.
Traditionally this is a community event but given the pandemic we dressed our tree a little differently- using messages of love and hope on ribbons, creating a space for people to visit and connect during these difficult times.
Tree Dressing is a lovely tradition that has sadly fallen out of fashion. We hope this short film will inspire you to reignite the tradition of Tree Dressing in your community.
Along with being lots of fun this is also great for your wellbeing for the following reasons:
1) Get Active - tree dressing requires you to be out in nature, breathing in fresh air amongst trees- being active in this way will boost your wellbeing and mood.
2) Keep Learning - Tree dressing is a great way to learn more about the trees in your local area- identify the type of tree you dress and try to discover a story about that type of tree.
3) Be Mindful- working with natural materials is known to settle the mind as it requires a type of focus that can help shut other things out, giving your mind a 'break'.
4) Practice Kindness- By dressing a tree in your local community you create a place for people to come in a time of need for connection
5) Think Community - Like we did invite your community to join in with the tree dressing and make this an annual event.