Working with willow and hazel can be extremely satisfying. The wood is very malleable and an be shaped into a wide range of items. A heart is always a great way to show somebody they are loved and cared for.
In this short film we show you how to take some really simple materials and make a lovely piece of nature art.
Whilst using this resource to inspire learning, know you are helping you and your family's wellbeing by:
1) Get Active - Get out on a walk with your family to look for Hazel Tree, remember its a shrub tree and can be identified at this time of year by it's catkins.
2) Keep Learning- Learning to identify trees is a real skill especially in winter. See if you can see any other familiar trees while out on your walk.
3) Be Mindful- Only take what you need from tree and remember to also ways ask.- the hazel tree will regenerate with more stems but be sure to rotate using different trees for harvesting.
4) Practice Kindness- Valentines Day is a perfect time to show somebody love and kindness
5) Think Community - We hung a heart from a tree in our local community garden with a little message to tell our friends they are loved on Valentines Day.