This session is based on the story of The Otter Wife – the story itself and associated activities can also to be found in our Storytelling Resources and Nature Activities area. During this yoga session you can follow along and copy the postures and discover the essence of the story together in one.
In this resource we use the story to address the idea of having our wishes met - we often don't know how or when the wish will be met, perhaps it isn't even us who benefit from it. By taking part in this session you can boost your metabolic system, gain a new perspective on life and improve your family's overall wellbeing, know you are helping you and your family's wellbeing like this:
1) Get Active - yoga may not be running a marathon but regular practice will reap many benefits to the physical and mental bodies: it can help our posture, build body movement awareness, an ability to be aware of our breath and how it affects us, work with our emotions, and ask us to question ourselves and our beliefs about things and so much more.
2) Keep Learning - use this session to help your body and mind learn new physical postures, hand mudras (positions) and ways of breathing. Link it with the story and the additional activities and you have a fun day of learning ahead.
3) Be Mindful- Use the relaxation in the session to help you consider the idea that our planet provides for us and can meet our every wish - how do you feel about that, if you don't believe that why not? Consider the wish being met over your lifetime and maybe not quite as you imagined it at first. How does that make you feel?
4) Practice Kindness- In yoga only ever practice with kindness to yourself - EVERY practice is different and our bodies will feel the postures differently every time. Yoga should never hurt. Look after yourself - there is only one of you and you are important and matter.
5) Think Community - Practice this session with your community - eg your family, and we look forward to your responses in the comments below.